Airdrop criteria

Exactly something like this
If you use something like this you will favour both whales and the non-whales

1 Like

I think we are on the same page and yes, a well put together set of criteria like that I would get behind.

1 Like

I really like those type of systems. You are able to really reward those using the system by having criteria for

• How long were you here
  • Did you Borrow
  • Did you ever lend a substantial amount
  • Did you ever borrow a substantial amount
  • etc

I feel like drops are about using the system and time is part of that equation for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah,that’s what I was trying to pass

1 Like

Exactly with those criteria listed out everyone will satisfied and know what made he/she not qualify

I like it. At first I was all points bc it took time into consideration already, but more I think about it I like the usage system we described and ascribing points for each “check” and then those are put into tiers.

1 Like

Jito was simple bc all you did was stake. Marginfi has more utility so it makes sense that it would have a more complex airdrop.

1 Like

Yeah make everything easy

This solution has several flaws from my perspective:

• It’s not consistent with the points system
  • It downplays the contribution made by the user (the marginfi points are just a small % of the actual calculation system, and points already take into account other aspects of the proposed criteria)
  • It goes against making the calculation simple and straightforward

As stated by other users here, the idea of the points already has time as part of the equation. The entire system is based on a time/$ contribution constraint. A user depositing 1000$ for 100 days gets the same of B user depositing 10000$ for 10 days. On one hand A user had to bear with the time risk, on the other hand B user had to bear with higher capital risk. The system already auto-balance time/$ contribution by itself in a pretty straightforward way imo. Adding another layer of points makes the entire calculation a mess.

The simplest system would be subdividing user per tier, excluding users under a certain points amount (set a lower threshold), and if one wanted to reward long-standing users, an OG bonus (a set amount of tokens for users pre-Jito Airdrop, or whatever the chosen criteria is)

4 Likes

You also make excellent points. Really like how you laid out the risk portion.

If done that way, I like the OG bonus for those that also met the points threshold. For example lending $1 for 100 days shouldn’t get you an OG bonus.

I also like a small bonus, not as big as OG for those who staked LST (and met the points threshold) bc I think using the site should be rewarded and LST was not in the points system.

2 Likes

Yes correct, the eventual OG bonus would be subject to a threshold as well

As it was mentioned above TVL was increased more then 3 time with the help of people who made a deposit after JITO drop. JITO drop tiers could be used as an example for future drop but not seperating the drop between people who deposited earlier or later. Cause in that case tomorrow we could find an “example” of other solana project making a drop with it’s own criteria and it could become neverending cirlce of different criterias. The entire system which is based on a time and the amount you deposit/borrow is the most honest way to make a drop with a help of “tiers” system.

2 Likes

One potential system would be something like a multiple pool system which targets actual users that explored the multiple parts of marginfi. Example would be something like this:

Airdrop Pool 1: 60% of all available airdrop tokens
Qualification: Based on Points System. Weed out small wallets and favor those who brought a lot of value and TVL to mrgn. (read more below, not trying to leave small wallets out)

Airdrop Pool 2: 15% of available airdrop tokens
Qualification: Did you stake SOL for LST?

Airdrop Pool 3: 15% of available airdrop tokens.
Qualifications: OG Bonus for users pre-jito airdrop. All qualified wallets get same amount for early participation

Airdrop Pool 4: 10% of available tokens.
Qualification: Split among small wallets that were excluded from Pool 1 due to too few points. Even distribution for all who are in this pool. Try to weed out clear airdrop hunters who ran bots on 100 wallets moving the same funds to around, if identifiable.

1 Like

Gm

I’ve been thinking lately about how protocols could execute airdrops. Here are just a few of my ideas that you can draw inspiration from:

• X multiplier to individuals who maintained a certain average balance (perhaps snapshots every week?) on Marginfi throughout the entire period since their initial deposit.

• X multiplier for individuals who received the Jito airdrop or deposited into Marginfi before the Jito airdrop.

• X multiplier for individuals who deposited into MarginFi using their Solana mobile (maybe again before jito and after jito? Solana mobiles were at really low quantity before jito and even before bonk was pumping)

1 Like

The amount of valuable suggestions have skyrocketed over the last 48 hours. Thanks to all of you for participating and expressing your feedback!

I believe it’s essential to view the airdrop dynamics from all the various angles and try to avoid being overly focused on the best way to obtain the highest amount of tokens for yourself. Having a larger slice of a bad cake shouldn’t be the goal here. I agree that after the Jito TGE, the landscape has changed significantly, and early users might feel disappointed. However, Marginfi has also grown tremendously and gained more attention, and everyone’s goal should be to optimize for protocol’s growth.

As @edgarpavlovsky and @ausouthpaw explained above, the Points system already considers time, so there’s no need to overcomplicate the criteria. All the time/capital efforts and risks are already priced in. Furtheremore, the points system was announced and described in the Medium articles as a reward mechanism based on borowing and lending on the platform. Hence, the core of the airdrop should remain based on that. We need to build accountability for the community and for long term success.

Instead of talking about complex multipliers we could explore a simplified system where we have 2 types of airdrop rewards: the core airdrop rewards and the bonus airdrop rewards.

Core airdrop rewards should be the most significant chunk and be entirely based on the points system, that again already accounts for time, capital and risk. Further discussion could revolve around key details such as a potential tiered system.

Bonus airdrop rewards could be a smaller percentage of the total tokens allocated for the airdrop and be awarded to users on top of the core airdrop based on social metrics and more. For example, we could have a small bonus for wallet addresses that minted LST, lended the most borrowed tokens, etc.

What do you think of this approach?

6 Likes

Hello guys!

I hope you’re all doing well, and I’d like to share my thoughts on the criteria.

Firstly, I think it’s important to remind everyone of the purpose of an airdrop: it’s a way for the protocol to thank its early users AND to decentralize the governance of the token.

In these two objectives, it is CLEAR that there’s a before and after JITO.

Before JITO, very few people assumed that the airdrop would be tiered, but rather that it would be linear. JITO made an excellent choice by proceeding this way, but in doing so, opened Pandora’s box: it’s more efficient in terms of token distribution/accumulated points ratio to have many wallets than just one. JITO’s extremely effective strategy was based on game theory (people assumed it was linear, so thanking small wallets was interesting because they were truly deserving). However, the game theory is now different, and it should be considered. Nevertheless, I agree with what @edgarpavlovsky said: it is NECESSARY for the criteria to not be too complicated. For this, I consider two possibilities:

• Setting a threshold for small wallets like JITO did (but higher) - this might disappoint many,
    OR
  • Considering a PRE-JITO and POST-JITO period with a multiplier to make it fairer.

Finally, I return to my first assumption about the PRE and POST-JITO period that some (likely those who joined later out of opportunism) consider as "unfair“. The objective is to reward people with straightforward criteria while effectively minimizing the impact of those likely to dump the tokens. Therefore, providing more through a PRE-Jito multiplier appears fair for the legitimate users who truly discovered MarginFi afterwards (because a multiplier seems fairer and doesn’t render them ineligible), while still distributing a greater number of tokens among legitimate users.

Voila voila !

1 Like

This will hurt marginfi long run, there is already a point system where wallets who have been depositing since pre jito gets more points naturally. Keeping criteria simple is very important, just group the points like 100 -10k points gets this amount, like jito did. Trying to exclude farmers too hard hurts for example Paraswap and we know how that story ended. Just honor the points equally without benefitting some people more than others. Most pre jito users will still get more airdrops that way

4 Likes

Exactly pre jito users will duml if they want to as well as post jito users, toying to complicate the already perfect point system will lead to a lot of unsatisfied users and that just hurts the project in the long run

4 Likes

That’s not the point.

The point system rewards longevity and is weighted according to the capital in MarginFi, BUT this doesn’t change the fact that the system doesn’t exclude those with malicious intent.

The ParaSwap airdrop ended poorly because too many people were excluded. In contrast, for MarginFi, we’re not talking about excluding people but rather allocating a significant percentage (in the form of a multiplier) to a segment of the population much less likely to be harmful, namely those pre-Jito Airdrop.

Please avoid repeating the nonsense of your influencer-threaded airdrops. As has been rightly pointed out above, it’s necessary to consider the long-term good of the protocol rather than personal short-term gains.

Pleasing everyone is necessary, but it must be done in a context that seems fair to the longest-standing members.

higher point cutoff at least >10-15k points
lended/borrowed for at least 10-14days
10-15% bonus to pre-jito users

2 Likes